Thursday, August 31, 2006

Things I like (or learned to like), sometimes even love, about India

On Wednesday, August 31, 2005 Air India Flight 112 brought me to Indira Gandhi International Airport. I landed here with the intent of living in India for a year. And that I did. And I'm actually still here.

Tomorrow I'll focus on the negative side, but for today, let's talk about the good.

India has many things to offer for all tastes, and if you don't think things too seriously it can give you quite a rewarding adventure.

Now to the list!

1) The landscape. India is a large geographically diverse country with mountains, deserts, beaches, hills, plains, and anything else you may want. India affords you a breath-taking scenery and many times unspoiled by modern development.

2) The food. Though I readily admit that "Indian" cuisine is not my top favorite. Some of the regional dishes are absolutely phenomenal. The seafood in West Bengal or Konkan food is divine.

3) The textiles. The artistry of woven fabrics is amazing. The colors and textures that are created attest to the rich craft heritage. Some of the sari work is incredible.

4) The history. India is old. Really old.

5) The people. The passion, friendliness, warmth, and hospitality is a deeply rooted cultural trait. (be warned that you will find "the people" in the negative list also).

6) The extremes. At times it feels that this is a country of absolutes. Absolute poverty vs. Absolute wealth. Absolute right vs. Absolute wrong. Black vs. White. Good vs. Evil. Britney Spears vs. Christina Aguilera. No room for gray areas. Extreme development in the same block as abject poverty. It's quite fascinating.

Hum, I know there is more, but how does one verbalize it?

5 comments:

lolafabiola said...

Babe... Britney Spears vs. Christina Aguilera is an opposition? Please illuminate me.

Andy said...

Whose the biggest skank!? DUH!!

Manu said...

LOL.. vintage Andy :)

Anonymous said...

Hey Andy

How are you...don't know if you remember me-was the Indian boy living in NYC who came over ages ago to Humsafar, and spoke to you and Andrew (the guy from Michigan) about working on a research project...
...yeah-I went to RAjasthan :p

Anyway-Vik (he of bad photo shoots :p ) gave me the link to your blog...at which point I began my own (sexandtheconstitution.blogspot.com giving the link as, since I use blogger beta, they won't let melogin below) - am about to link to your blog...

Do give me a shout out sometime!

Craig

Ameet said...

So where's your negative list? I'm still waiting.

:P