Saturday, January 26, 2008

Market Days


I shall admit that I do enjoy domesticity. Something to be said for having a loved one waiting for you at home. Company for dinner every night. Someone to cuddle with on a cold winter night.

But one of my favorite things is Saturdays. Saturday is when you get to sleep in, read in bed, and in our home plan the weekly dinner menu, grab our shopping trolleys and head to the Lewisham High Street Market.

Lewisham is the London Borough that Anthony and I live in. Besides being the former home of Jude Law, it's also the site of a vibrant locals market. Though it lacks the competitive edginess or the haggling experience of Indian markets its still a great place to go and get your fruit and veg from local merchants.

The market is actually really fun, besides having a wide range of fresh produce and flowers its much cheaper than the supermarkets (we comparisoned shopped!) and it's fabulous for people watching. But the most amazing part for me is that I can actually find a lot of the produce that I am used to from the Caribbean! From yuca, plantains, and green bananas; to the more exotics like panapen and chayote. Totally fab!

Pics from our market excursion:









And this is a small clip taken with my phone of a vendor touting his goods. Quite fun :-)


For those of you who may have problems understanding the SE London accent - god knows I do! - he's yelling "Where you like a pound, where you like a pound, a pound ONLY!"

It references the metal bowls on the table that only cost a £1 for the lot in it.

4 comments:

Tony said...

I agree. Market days are the higlight of me week ... even if I do have to translate what the 'souf' Londoners are saying ... innit darlin' :-)

Ameet said...

How domestic :) I enjoy the market experience too - not to mention the taste of the fabulously fresh food which hasn't been sitting around in a godforsaken supermart cooler for weeks. Also the fact that markets draw serious cooks and you can actually find all the ingredients needed to cook from scratch.

Castle of Stink said...

I so wish we had something like this here in South Carolina... We do have a farmers' market, but it offers nothing I can't find in a grocery.
The one thing we do have is a small local group of organic farmers who set up a small stand at a local business every Saturday morning. But, they are limited, too. Their cheeses are really good, though!

CKC123 said...

Kind of like the Sunday's Farmer's market here in DC. But cheaper.