Friday, January 05, 2007

Supremum Fatum

When 2006 began I was told to expect a crappy year. In the Chinese zodiac, Dragons do not mesh well with Dogs and 2006 belonged to the dogs. At first I didn't believe. My mistake.

The first 6 months lulled me into a false sense of confidence. The time in Hong Kong and Macau with Ameet, the visit to Kerala with AIF, the trip to Rajasthan with James and Adi, all made me think it would be a stellar year; and who can forget the kick-ass job that was thrown my way (for the record the work is the only thing that is keeping me here - I am truly enjoying my job like no other I've had before), but the last 6 months sucked.

Illnesses, both physical and mental, took their toll on me. Though professionally I was thriving, personally I was devolving. Hence the escape to Spain.

It sounded perfect. A little Mediterranean get-away with good friends. Nice weather, great food and wonderful company in order to revitalize the spirit. The Fates had other plans.

I landed in Barcelona on Saturday the 23, Anthony and I meet at the airport (him flying in from London) and head into the city to stroll for a couple of hours before we catch the over night train to Sevilla. All seemed well. We had actually managed the last two seats on ANY train heading to Sevilla and they happen to be in the first class compartment - so no complaints.

The ride was great. Anthony and I enjoyed the free food and wine on board. We caught-up, relaxed, enjoyed the trip. The next morning I woke up with a swollen lip. Nothing major to me, my allergies have always given me hives which cause random parts of my body to swell. So I just doubled up on my anti-histamines and paid it no mind.

But, by the afternoon it had not gone down, and it seemed to be getting worse.

On Christmas day, my lip is 3 times its normal size and it hurts. Something is not right. Anthony and I exchange some presents, and decide I should go to the emergency room.

Hospital Universitario Virgen de la Macarena was OK. You would be surprised how many people are in ERs on Christmas day, granted all of them geriatric, skanky, or both, but still. So the ever patient and supportive Anthony suffered through me in the ER navigating a decent place to sit while avoiding the riff-raff. And did you know that the only place to eat that is open on Christmas is the kebab place run by the Moroccans.



So, 5 hours, 3 shots, 2 IV, and a handful of prescription drugs later we leave the emergency room with a diagnosis of allergy induced edema.

Anthony and I make the most of the rest of our time in Seville and do a bit of touring (I'll post his pictures in the coming days).

But it wasn't allergies. The next day my lip is worse. By the 27th I can't stand the pain. But I'm back in Barcelona, Anthony is back in London, and Ameet is not due to arrive for another day. Back to the ER for me, this time alone. For the record, emergency rooms are really no fun alone, especially in a foreign country, even if you speak the language.

What's interesting about Barcelona is that people's first language is Catalan NOT Castilian (what most people refer to as Spanish). Catalan has been described by some as a "non-language comprised of the leftover garbage of french, Castilian, and Portuguese". For a native Spanish speaker it sounds like someone is killing your mother tongue with a rusty butter knife.

Speaking to the doctors was tiring. I was in pain, scared, overwhelmed and they insisted on talking to my in fast-paced Catalan, it was so annoying having to remind them that I don't speak the language. But after 6 hours, 2 shots, and an IV my lip is still swollen and painful. I get sent home with the diagnosis of an infection and a prescription for antibiotics. Joyful.

The next day, I go pick up Ameet at the airport, and catch-up him up on the medical drama that has become my vacation. Understandably he does freak out a bit. Not only am I hideously deformed, but as the Spanish speaker of the group my ability to play translator is being hampered. Sigh. Between my pain, and Ameet's jet lag we can't do more than walk a bit a get a quick bite, so we call it an early night. Little did I know that was my last day of vacation.

By Friday the 29, my lip is turning black, hanging down to my chin, and I want to cry in pain. Back to the ER.

7 hours, 4 swabs, 2 biopsies later I'm in emergency surgery. The doctor stating "if you want to save your lip, we cannot let you walk out of this hospital," thanks to the necrosis on my lip. Good times. So they cut my lip open, drain out the pus, scrape out the gunk, put me on IVs and admit me. Anthony flew back from London and came straight to the hospital. Both Ameet and Anthony refusing to leave my side unless I forcibly kicked them out.

And that is how I spent new years. In a hospital bed in Barcelona with two of the best friends anyone could ask for.

Anthony and Ameet went above and beyond the call of duty. I must say that this experience was pretty traumatic. And I don't know how I would have pulled through if it wasn't for them being there with me. My dad was sweet enough to offer to fly to Spain to be with me, that really touched me, but then he went and got on a motorcycle accident! One of the hardest parts was the doctors did not know when I would be discharged. I was scheduled to leave Spain back for India on the 3rd, and they couldn't tell me if I would be able to make the flight or not. It's funny how the not knowing is always the hardest part.

Thankfully on the day before I was supposed to leave when I was the doctor my status because I was supposed to re-book my ticket. They said that they could let me go, but that I would have to continue antibiotic treatment for another week as well as home wound cleaning. Fair enough I said. As long as I didn't have to eat anymore nasty hospital food. I swear the food made me sicker than the actual bacteria. I was forced to eat soft non-chewable foods, which mostly resembled essence of the ghost of whatever it was meant to be (I think it was chicken a couple of times).

So that was my holiday saga, but we did make the best of a crappy situation. In the end it truly was about the company and not the location. What better way to start the new year than with loving friends by your side.

So decidedly, it wasn't the best holiday, but it was definitely memorable. Destiny ordained it so, and I couldn't not have asked for better company through the ordeal. The funny thing is that it does seem to fit in with the year that I had. Sigh.

Here is to a bright and hopeful 2007!

Official diagnosis: Cellulitis of the inferior lip caused by S. aureus.
As much fun as you are allowed to have in a hospital:
The tubing (I swear I needed a plumber at times):
Attempting to look cute:
My "this isn't cute" moment:

The gory details:My Lip on the last day at the hospital:


My Lip on the day I got discharged:


My Lip Today:~~~~~~
Photo credits go to Anthony - THANKS for the photographic evidence.

To come the tourist pictures - Since I was indisposed for most of the time, I will have to enjoy the trip vicariously through the lenses of Ameet and Anthony.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Enough with the fotos!! No MAS!!!

I am reading your blog entry at the Caribou Coffee by Logan Circle - and half the customers just bolted out the door after catching just a glimpse of your lip (are we still calling it that, or has it taken on a persona and a phraseology all its own?).

Andy, my dear sweet boy, what in god's name is going on with you? How does one catch that thing? You need to come back to Washington. Pronto.

Ameet said...

Yeah, seriously. Take some of those pics off. I wasn't kidding when I said I couldn't bear to look at it.

Glad to see it's healing though.

Anonymous said...

Sweetie..... I'm so sorry to hear you went through all that. I'm glad you were in good company and got the treatment you needed. But, gosh, what a way to end the year. I hope from here on it gets better. Love and miss you... -Alba

Manu said...

Andy...ewww.. is this like some sort of therapy thingie. Share the experience with everyone????

ekGreer said...

Many thanks to your friends who could be with you when your family and other friends couldnt. I hope you and your father are doing alright.

Alex H. said...

omg ew ew ew...at first i started laughing at the first pic of your swollen lip...but then, when the pictures got progressively worse, my demeanor became decidedly grave.

did the people on the plane flip out at the sight of your lip? or did you pull a michael jackson and rock the surgical mask?

nevertheless, i'm glad to see you're on the mend.

Terry A said...

Scares the shit out of me to read that, even before I got to graphic pix. Sounds like it could have been even more serious. Nothing like wonderful friends & allies to help you through. So glad you're on the mend. Best take extremely good care of yourself from here on out! Terry

Florizel said...

GOOD GOD HAVE MERCY!

so I check and check your website, and you are not updating, I wanted to write you tell you that your indian dot appeared (so many diffrent conatations) but then I see this...

Monstrasity. Yeck!

Saw Aaron and Reagan over Christmas, starting a new job today, so I might have money in a while.... Miss you

Florizel said...

Wow, now I have read the post, more then just looked at photos... that sucks.

did they say what caused it? random play? Stray dog? going to spain? Had we rocked the new year in bombay would none of this had happened? (teasing)

Maybe I can make it over in July....

SparklesTheLittleHen said...

Andy, glad to see your lip did shrink back to a nice sultry pout. Any side effects? Other than that - hope all is well with you! Love - Roen

JanetCrammit said...

Andy, I work at a school as a nurse. MRSA (methicillin resistant staph aureus) is a big topic now. These Super Bugs are killers. Im really glad your s. aureus responded to antibiotics and you were finally able to get proper care. Aaron had a staph infection involving all of his skin at age 4. Of course, it was misdiagnosed (an allergy) before he got penicillin. I for one enjoyed the pictures. Looks like you are getting back to your handsome self!

Jan O. in Tally Town