Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Parting Images of Kolkata

These pictures are random shots that I have not had the opportunity to post earlier. Since my days in Cal are counted (i'm down to 2) I figure I better put them up now. Some are old, some are new, but they all represent a story.

This first set is from one of my morning Hash Group walks in Kolkata's very own Central Park.



Urinal with a view








Kolkata every year holds the worlds largest open air book fair. Millions came. It was definitely a sight to behold. I think Dad would have liked it.




People bathing on the streets from water pumps is a very common sight in Cal. Though I applaud the hygiene efforts, I do question how do they wash their naughty bits when they still where clothing.

During the book fair there were 2 separate stalls dedicated to Latin America. Though it made me quite happy (they weren't too popular, but there was definite interest) I was quite dissapointed the PR did not make it into their radar screen. Maybe next year!


Chris and Sejal were the first fellow Fellows to visit us in Cal (Chris technically arrived 24 hours befre Sejal). Though they came on my last weekend in Kolkata which turned out to be kinda harried, I think plenty of good times were had. We took Sejal to THE Kali Temple by my house, they had just finished the goat slaughtering ceremony, and all the stray dugs were fighting for random pieces of goat that were strewn about. The last day we took Chris to my favorite spot in Cal, the South Park Cemetary






Kolkata has 2 Kali temples. These images are from one in the north of the city. The grounds are more sprawling, it felt more commercial and it lies on the banks of the Ganges.







This was at the blessing ceremony of a newly built house that Neela took Pete, Francois and I. The haziness in some of the pics is from the cow dung patties that was being burnt. :-) Yum!





No comments: