Friday, March 10, 2006

Memoirs of a Road Trip - Agra (Taj Mahal)

After Delhi Adi, James and I packed our bags (threw all the shopping in the back of the car to worry about later) and headed to Agra to awe at the infamous Taj Mahal. One hour after leaving the hotel we were STILL in Delhi. Got to love the traffic. As we merrily drove along our driver decided that he needed to go faster even though there was a bicyclist in front of us. And the laws of physics being what they are, with momentum and all that, we ended up running over the poor chap and squishing his bike. And in the eternal fashion of blaming the victim our driver got out and started bitching slapping the poor sod for getting in our way. We thought that the insanity would not end when one of India's less intimidating officers of the law materialized. Granted I've seen moribund sloths move with more energy than he did, but he at least represented some sort of authority figure. That is until our driver saw him, pushed him out of the way, jumped in the car and high-tailed out of there. Now you try doing that in the U.S. and not end up on the 6 o'clock news with the SWAT team at your door. I must admit the rest of the trip was not as exciting. :-) As for the Taj Mahal, I'm sorry to say, I really was not that impressed. Call me jaded, but I was like "Oh, that's it." It was pretty and all and I'm glad I went. But really, it was just "aight."


Almost There!

Taj at First Site

My Princess Diana forlon look

Yes it is very pretty

No that is not a fake back-drop behind us

THE Taj - Like no other

Amazing inlay work - all semiprecious stones

An empty part of India - Does the government now about this!?

We are actually really tired

Ok enough with the Taj pictures - we get it!

How come tourists always look up?

Taj from Far
The back of the front

The front of the front

The only went to the outside of the Agra fort. This is it :-p

1 comment:

Ameet said...

What??? You weren't impressed with the Taj? I'm devastated :(