Thursday, March 08, 2007

South African Beauty

Time in Cape Town seems to fly by, and the sad part is that it's not like life is that hectic. I can't believe that I have been here almost 5 days already, and only 2 more to go. How tragic!

Cape Town is absolutely gorgeous. To me it has the feel of the love child of Miami and San Francisco. Without the pretentiousness. So far my travels within Africa include a few cities in Ghana, a couple in Uganda, some in Egypt, and Zanzibar, Tanzania. Cape Town does not feel like Africa in comparison. The other places did fit into the stereotypes somewhat. Maybe it's because I'm staying close to the most expensive real estate in the African continent. Or the sumptuous gourmet meals and endlessly flowing wine (I think we've drank half a vineyard at this point - and that's not counting the tour of the wine country we did yesterday).

The odd part is that I think I have seen more black people in India than I have seen in this city. Not quite sure what is going on and I would hate to venture a guess in this medium.

In any case, an amusing anecdote that highlights my need to be less cynical:

On Monday night, the boys and I went to "The Bronx", one of the local watering holes, for some adult beverages. While there I was making eye-contact an eventually small talk, which led to flirting with a guy who introduced himself as Marco. He said he was a movie director and was here filming a TV commercial for German ice cream. I smiled and nodded (he was uber-cute after all), but wasn't sure if to believe him once he said that he's next movie stars Kevin Kline and is coming out in August. I was like, sure if you say so. Then I IMDB'ed him - and OMG he was for real! Oops! He turned out to be a super sweet guy. Wish we could have hung out more, but he was strapped to work. Maybe our paths will cross again some day. Who knows maybe I can get invited to the premier of "Trade". He showed me the preview and played me some of the songs of the soundtrack. It looks really good. Definitely worth checking out. Keep your eyes out for it in August.

No comments: