Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Gyming

In India, or Mumbai at least, the act of going to the gym for what one hopes is some sort of productive physical activity has its own verb - Gyming (I think Indians love making up words in English - maybe it's their personal way of getting back at the British for two hundred years of colonial rule).

I know that I'm never going to be "third-world thin", but since I will be back stateside in 3 months I have to make sure that I don't look "industrial-nation fat" either.

Yes, the subtle encouragements of Asif did have something to do with dragging my sagging ass to the gym again. But it was more when fat people starting commenting on how much weight I've put on that I started to get worried.

The thing is that I don't think I'm fat. Out of all the issues I may have, body dysmorphic disorder is not one of them. No I'm not buff or toned, but at 5'11" (180 cm) and 172 lbs (78 kg), that is a BMI of 24 - technically on the normal side (if even if it's in the shadow of overweight).

But still conform it's hard to be judgemental on others if you ain't looking so hot yourself.

~~~~

Ameet - I think this one beats the vanity of the previous one :-)

6 comments:

Ameet said...

You're right - it does!

Anonymous said...

I saw some study recently that was saying people can misinterpret the BMI or get a fals sense of security. Its possible for you to have a low BMI but have all your fat around the organs - which is really bad. You can be lulled into a false sense of security.

Florizel said...

Are you coming home to stay or just to visit? I thought you were doing Thailand? I am never going to be able to visit you in the 3rd world? (Of course I did visit PR with you but I don't think PR really counts as the third world.... It seemed more 1st world then Ocala)

CKC123 said...

Well, you know me - up and down, up and down. I'm not sure what I'm going to look like in Cape Town.

By the way, we have the same body types.

Sighhhhhhhhh........

Themadi said...

I have become one of those skinny fat people; loss of muscle is frightening rapid, but I don't eat enough to gain weight either...

Manu said...

'Third-world thin' hahaha I love you development people! :)