Thursday, December 01, 2005

The Gay Drain

My life in Kolkata is starting to get a groove. As I continue to socialize in this city I cannot help but make observations which make me ponder things that have absolutely no meaning in life. The thought of the moment is what I have labeled "The Gay Drain."

Everyone and their mother-in-law has heard something about the dreaded "brain drain" in developing countries. Where scientist, artist, and miscellaneous intelligentsia flee from their home countries to more allegedly tolerant and supportive environments (which apparently means the U.S. or Canada - who knew!?). Anyway, after befriending a fabulous assortment queers, faggots, and sexual deviants of South Asian heritage in the U.S., I had made the (turns out wrong) assumption that their motherland would yield an ever greater treasure trove of incredible people to meet. Ugh! Was I wrong!!

If you have been following my pointless whines since the beginning, you have read of the diminished quality of the queer scene in Kolkata. Not to say that I have met EVERY homo in the city, but after 3 months here I feel that I have met a fairly representative sample.

Which brings me back to the topic of the Gay Drain, I am proposing that all the good fairies have escaped from here. And I bet you that this is not isolated to India. The benefit of living in DC is that you get to mingle with a very international crowd. But it also deceives you because you get to meet the cool, attractive, articulate specimens. Then when you go to their homeland all you find are the gay dregs! Eeww!

On a superficial level I must start with the fact that they are ugly! I know tons of hot gay Indians in the U.S. (most of them are my friends! - kisses guys, miss you!) where the bloody hell are the ones in the actual country! And don't get me started on their clothing, with an over-reliance on synthetics, pants tight enough to incite communal riots, and shoes so big and clunky that it would make Frankenstein jealous, you have to wonder how the fuck they ever get laid! And for god's sake can we do a little man-scaping, no one likes body hair long enough that it can be braided.

On a deeper level there are issues of self acceptance, priorities, and sense worth. Concepts of gender are all shot to hell when being gay in this country means either being a sissy queen or overtly butch. I have no issues with these two ends, except when they are the only options you are given. No space for variance. I have been labeled the ice queen by the local chain smoking, alcoholic, sex-starved gay cohort because 1) I refuse to sleep with their skanky incestuous asses and 2) I have better things to do with my time and money than hang at the only local gay dive. Puh-leeze, it's not my fault that I am comfortable with who I am and have no need to pickle my liver in order to be ok with making out with a guy. Then there is the other side, where you have the über-queer activist. Which don't get me wrong are totally needed. But again, do we need to continue to perpetuate the gender stereotypes.

So, in all I have come to the conclusion that all the good pansies have left. Moved on to bigger, more colorful pastures where they can let their hair down and their mascara wont run. The problem is there is no one left in the country to gay-it forward. For Mary's sake they don't even know how to make a good martini here!

I send this message out to all my brethren out there that have enough since to color co-ordinate before they get out of the house. That know that we do not wear corduroys in summer. That are aware thathorizontall stripes make you look fat and that your belt and shoes should be the same color. I ask you to try to help your fellow country man. When you come back home bringmoisturizerr and hair wax (what the fuck is hair oil anyway!?), teach them that we do not wear polka-dotted shirts with striped pants. That we do not mix fabrics. That we actually should have TWO eye-brows. And that there is more to being gay than cosmos and getting laid. That it is possible for two men and two women to find long-lasting love. That a same-sex couple can form a happy home and be a family. That being gay does not mean being sterile. Let them know that in a gay relationship there is no such thing as one person being the man and the other the woman. Teach them that monogamy may be against human nature, but it IS the most precious gift you can give your partner.

And just to clarify, I did not contribute to the gay drain of Puerto Rico since we are the U.S.'s bitch (colony, commonwealth, territory, whatever they are calling us these days), I fall under their umbrella.

6 comments:

Ameet said...

You're in the wrong frickin town!!! Go to Mumbai!! Thats where all the Indian faeries are made :-P

Anonymous said...

hey andy! this is ryan.. chris, jen's and Deepti's friend in hyd (they can't stop raving about you).. if you think you have problems... you should visit hyd... its sucks... major!
anyways i enjoyed your blog.. would have given you the link to mine but its wayyy too angsty...
anyways ... keep in touch.. im on yahoo chat: figgy_faithandcourage and on gmail: ryan.j.figueiredo@gmail.com

i work for a NFP in hyd (www.naandi.org)

your gay-ly
ryan
09848548242

Anonymous said...

Andy,

The "Gay Drain"! lol

I'll have to introduce you to a few friends of mine in Bangalore who know how to dress cute AND are looking for a stable relationship with another man. I think that they may be into monogamy, as well.

On my end: I miss slutty dykes who barely want to know your name and wont leave their number in the morning. I know that they must exist, but are kept under cover by societal norms, etc. Or maybe, they went West, as well. I am frustrated by being expected to have a relationship with someone just so that I can sleep with them. Why would I invest my time if I havent sampled the goods? Also, its annoying that because I am in a non-monogamous relationship with someone back home I am seen by many as off limits. They only see the 'relationship' aspect and back off, because apparently its a grevious sin to fuck someone without proposing your unending love and devotion. Sad for me!

Anonymous said...

Andy...Your blog totally cracked me up! I really enjoyed it. I loved your style and humor. It made it fun to read, yet it was a somewhat serious topic. I actually learned from it, cheesy as that sounds. And as much as I feel your pain and think that it's true there's "gay drain," at least you have a social scene man! The coolest thing near me is the Cafe Coffee Day on the corner! =p
Much Love,
Catherine

Themadi said...

hair oil is coconut oil, of course!

Anonymous said...

Dear Andy,
Has anybody told you that you have a gifted pen, or rather, a keyboard? You are very good with it, as good as you are with the camera. I hope the world does not turn out to be too small a place for your adventures...
One last word: I guess it is difficult to get into the bottom apparel of an Indian. And like you have rightly described, the things people wear are not that attractive anyway. So that leaves most us feeling rather soar in the eyes. But the unfortunate state of affaris is also that most of these people are beyond help.... I am yet to meet some gay guy with a good sense of dressing (except you ofcourse). Why gay, I have hardly come across well-dressed Indian men (not a movie star, sometimes even they suck). So there you go... Not a good treat for the mind or the soul....
Piya