Monday, June 30, 2008

It's not that I mind really

But why does EVERYONE have to assume I'm South Asian. OK, yes, I'm in Pakistan, and yes I'm brown; nevertheless does that automatically mean I am desi?

I have come to realise that I am this non-ethnic specific brown that seems to blend into whatever melanin-enriched group people are most familiar with. Even in London I have people speaking to me in some South Asian language. It wouldn't be so bad if some people didn't take offence to the fact that I "deny my true heritage."
(Insert Random South Asian Here) - "Why do you call yourself 'Andy', why don't you go by your real name?"

(Me) - Because, I don't like the way most people mispronounce 'Andres'!
Though I have had 2 interesting comments during the trip:
  1. You look Pakistani, but you have Latin eyes. (I'm not quite sure what that means. I guess it means I don't have the dark circles that South Asians seem to be predisposed to)
  2. For a white guy you are OK. (WHITE GUY!? I couldn't pass even if I was on the phone to someone while sitting in a dimly lit room)
Oh, well what can we do. I guess it is human nature to categorise, label, and catalog others in order to make sense of the chaotic swarm that is existence.

8 comments:

Manu said...

LOL

Anonymous said...

It's true!

"I have come to realise that I am this non-ethnic specific brown that seems to blend into whatever melanin-enriched group people are most familiar with."

I remember distinctly hanging out w/ you and Imran years ago, and my mind sort of forgotten you werent' desi. hehehe.. lol.

Tony said...

No matter what flavour you are, you're still cute :-)

Anonymous said...

I always thought you were north asian.

beatpunk said...

You should just tell people you're crazy, not Hispanic.

dit said...

I tell people may parents are Asian, yet get tired of being called honkey or whitey. lol

Ameet said...

ROFL

CKC123 said...

This is funny. Try speaking Spanish back to them and see how they respond. I could see one saying "What Indian dialect is that?"

This all seems so De Je Vu (and yes I know I can't spell.)