Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Indian Healthcare System

Note: Apologies to my friends who are doctors, but you know I am right.


During my time in India, my health has been less than stellar. I have been in and out of doctors offices and hospitals more that I care to count (thank god it's cheap). And I most say that like every other service industry in India - the service leaves a lot to be desired.

Don't get me wrong the actual medical care was fine, but its the complete package that sucks. Indian doctors have the bedside manner of door knobs, hospital staff have the compassion of tree stumps, and I have yet to meet an actual pharmacist (though chemist shops abound, and drugs are dispensed easily, by store clerks who seemed to have amassed prescriptive knowledge by life training, but not so much by formal education).

I bring this to point now, because for the past couple of weeks I have been getting a tune-up of sorts. Trying to take care of the little things that I should have been doing, but neglected to, and should take care of now while I'm in a place with cheap medical care - especially since I am uninsured!

Maybe, we are spoiled in the west, but you know what is it too much to ask for a doctor (or any medical personnel for that matter) to at least introduce themselves before poking and prodding you? Why am I the one being rude, simply because ask questions? Is it bad that I like to know my diagnosis, prognosis and course of treatment? Am I really expected to sit back quietly and do whatever the doctor says? Bump that!!

I will say though, I manage to get a dental cleaning, my contacts prescription updated, and a year's supply of my 2 daily meds for the cost of less than my co-payment back in the US. :-)

AND I only had to go to the doctor for illness once this month! (Honestly I am not a hypochondriac, but I just don't think Indian germs have liked me much)

3 comments:

Ameet said...

Hey - you get what you pay for ;-)

CKC123 said...

You'll be back soon. Hopefully the germs here will remember you and leave you alone.

Tony said...

You're SUCH a drama queen :-)