Thursday, July 27, 2006

On the 30th anniversary of my birth

Turning 30 is actually an interesting experience. I have enough memories (both good and bad) to dwell on. Enough life experience to make educated choices. And still plenty of more time to make mistakes, change my mind, and generally live. So as this day comes to an end, and I commemorate 30 years of existence I like to take a moment to remember all the incredibly chaotic stuff that has happened to the world and me since 1976. And let's be honest, there has been a lot of shit going on.

Since 1976:
  • I have been married and divorced twice (Alba and Ricky will always be special to me though)
  • The have been countless wars for no good reason, but some with really good spin doctors working the pr
  • I have been working in HIV for 10 years, and have to really ask myself if it has made a difference besides increasing my personal debt
  • Countless dictators have come and fallen from power (but the US still has to deal with Bush in office)
  • I have visited over 25 countries, quite a few I would love to go back to, many I can just scratch off the list and say "been there, done that"
  • Millions of people have died from preventable causes ranging from war, disease, famine, boredom, etc.
  • I have been loved , genuinely, truly deeply loved by my friends and family (and continue to be loved - one of the most, if not THE most, precious gifts I have)
  • Advances in science have outpaced, advance in social consciousness. Sort of like giving a toddler a nuclear device to play with
  • I have experienced loss and pain, and it has made me a stronger person
  • Advances in medicine have stretched the natural boundaries of our lives. You know what sometimes it is OK to die.
  • I have gotten more education than your average puertorican, and I have the student loan debt to prove it
  • Politicians have reach new highs in public embarrassment, from Bush to Kadyrov, one wonders why people continue to trust government systems
  • I have made more people smile and laugh than I can count.
  • Globalization has allow the planet to shrink and the world village to get closer. For better or for worse.
  • I have dance, sang, cried in laughter and sorrow and tried to have ass many human experiences as I can manage. Which is more than I can say for millions of people who dont even have access to safe drinking water.
It occurs to me that I should stop while I'm ahead. Though I'm close to the average life expectancy of the men in some African nations, I'm hoping my western opulence will keep me alive for a few more decades of moroseness and nostalgic musings.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY ANDY!!! Did you celebrate it in true Andy/Mumbai style?

Anonymous said...

Wow, what a list. Thank you for sharing.

once again said...

i swear i posted a message earlier .. darned blogger ..

happy budddday dodo !!
when it was !?!

* hugs *

and why dun I see u online no more, freako !?

Manu said...

How quickly they grow up! :)

Themadi said...

Happyy Birthdayy aNDY!!!!