Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Life in Mumbai: Month 1

Ok, ok, I admit that it has been positively ages since I have provided any sort of update. Some of you probably assume that I have been kidnapped by a band of pirates and sold into a middle-eastern sex ring (sigh! Some day). But life in Mumbai, has proven to be more hectic, expensive, and down right crazier than originally anticipated. Here is a quick summary of what I have been up to for the past month. In the middle of it all throw in some delhi belly, a migraine, disgusting heat, humidity, pollution, and traffic. Amazing food. Ungodly smells. Meeting great people and revelling in my new job. I honestly do like Mumbai. It actually reminds me a lot of Puerto Rico. It's the randomly chaotic mix of developed and third world all in the same block, full of sweaty brown people. Though the beaches are gross here (how can you have a beach you can't swim!?).

Work: Is great. I really do like my new job. It's definitely going to be a challenging year though. On my first day I was told, that I had to put together a needs assessment meeting in Mumbai of 20 LGBT NGOs spread throughout the country, to be held in two weeks. And the results of this meeting will be the foundation for the work for the rest of the year. Yey! Anyway, the meeting was 2 weeks ago. I was congratulated for pulling it out of my ass without a hitch and now I have spent the past two weeks compiling survey data, analyzing group discussions and trying to draft a report and workplan. Fun, Fun! To top it all of, the separate office (as in a whole different office space in some different part of town) that my project is supposed to be housed in fell through...twice! But we have FINALLY secured a space. Peeps are in the process of cleaning it and making it suitable to my western sensibilities (the fact that I wanted a file cabinet was apparently a bit much). Within the next year I have to design, coordinate, and facilitate 4 skills-building workshops, 2 community advocacy meetings, 2 site visits to "problem" states, and 1 national partners meetings. At the same time oversee the infrastructure development of the Indian Network for Sexual Minorities (from getting it registered as an organization, to building up the secretariat, to developing the website), as well as, a report on Sexual health needs of the MSM and TG community of India for possible inclusion into the National AIDS Control Plan. All for the bargain price of Rs.22,000 month (yes people this is my salary).

Life: Well I am no longer homeless. Though I miss the AC, plush beds, daily maid service, cable television, and room service (why the fuck didn't i want to stay in hotels again!?) there is something to be said for having your own stable residence. Many thanks go to Atul and Sapna (via Ameet) for been gracious enough for helping an broke development worker out and giving me a great deal on their flat. So I've been trying to slowly settle in, get some house stuff (hum, I still need to get back to Kolkata and get the rest of my things, I really miss the other half of my wardrobe). On a superficial note, I do admit that the "scenery" is nicer in Mumbai than the rest of India. I don't know if its the über-western influences or what, but there is a larger attention to grooming andaestheticss, which Ithoroughlyy appreciate. Though there still seems to be the petty back-bitching that infects most other gay communities ("watch out for that guy" "you shouldn't trust him" "why are you talking to that dude?"), atlest they are prettier while they do it. I'm slowly meeting people, running into people I have met previously, and hearing of newpeoplel that I simply MUST meet (not quite sure why though) but hey I can't complain. Bored, at least I am not. Oh, and did I mentioned I joined a gym! (more on the later).

For now I leave you with a commentary on something that I do constantly. Toodles.

3 comments:

Florizel said...

I wish I made 22,000 a month...

Haven't translated the numbers yet, and I am sure that is off, and might not come near what I actually make, but it sure as hell sounds like a lot!

Florizel said...

22,000.00 INR
India Rupees = 484.089 USD
United States Dollars

Good god, you are living off my car payment!

Andy said...

Makes you feel good about yourself doesn't it. :-)