Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Working in Kolkata

As if the AIF Orientation wasn't long enough, I've been on CINI orientation since 19 Sep and it's not due to end till 7 Oct! Luckily we will have 5 days of celebration (Durga Puja - I hear it's like Indian Mardi Gras if anyone wants to come visit) and then I officially start working on 13 Oct. Overall it's not so bad, but everything is starting to blend. As for work, I'm going to have a 2-part project for the coming year. 1) Work with the ARC to integrate HIV/AIDS activities into their already existing programs, 2) Help them write their 5 year strategic plan. Should be fun, and I'm looking forward to it.

The Adolescent Resource Center (the CINI division I will be working with) seems cool, at least the director and a few staff peeps def do. But there is one anal-retentive control freak woman, who does not let us do anything for ourselves. I've been dying to get a flat in the city (and today there was a gleamer of hope that it may happen by this weekend) because the dorm room in the village sucks and I really like being in the city.

Kolkata is cool. Def been having fun. There are some cool bars and clubs (some even open till 3-4am). A really cool pub that has live bands every night (Mondays is Latin Night! And the band ain't half bad - though watching the Indians trying to salsa made me sad). There is even a sketchy gay bar. Heat aside (and trust me it's hot!!) this place seems liveable. And I hear that there is even some sort of winter'esque season that last for a couple of months where it's less hot. So we shall see. I may survive after all.

That's the reader's digest version of life here. More when I have more consistent email access (prolly when I'm in the office full time)

No comments: