Friday, March 27, 2009

So I'm Uganda, right

I had to come to Kampala for a short assignment for work. I'm only here for the week, but it is totally random and last minute and I'm actually quite excited. Last time I was here was spending the Christmas holidays with my friend Sue over 4 years ago, who was working here at the time and it was strange coming back here.

Last time it was purely a social visit and I stayed with Sue and she and her friends took care of me and showed me around, but this time I don't know anyone and I am stuck in a hotel in downtown Kampala, which in the immediate vicinity doesn't seem to have much.

I am sure if explored a bit I could find stuff, but after working all day I just don't have the energy and I wouldn't even know where to get started.

This is the immediate area around the hotel.










As part of my work here I have been meeting some traditional birth attendants. Gladys is the warmest, most welcoming TBA I have ever met. In any country. With her demeanor it is obvious why a woman would choose to go to her for delivery as oppose to a hospital or clinic that may be short-staffed and under supplied.

This is where the women deliver

And here we have a community health education group singing a song about abstinence :-)

No comments: