Monday, March 02, 2009

On Male Greetings

I always find greeting men so difficult.

Being gay and being Hispanic means that I am very touchy-feely, we are hugging/kissing people. Unfortunately that doesn't always translate well into male interaction unless the other person is also a fag, a spic, or both.

I find heterosexual white men the easiest. Firm handshake, slight nod and you are done. But the rest, are a bit anxiety inducing.

During this trip to Pakistan I keep having this ackward dance of handshake-hug-handshake. But sometimes, it's hug-handshake-hug. Other times, it's been handshake-hug or hug-handshake. And I've been caught in a few "was-supposed-to-be-just-a-handshake-but-I-went-in-for-a-hug- so-then-they-felt-obliged-but-by-that-point-I-had-started-to-withdraw-and-we-end-up-in-a-half-assed-pat".

Aren't there some sort of protocols for these things? It would be great if someone just told me when to use whcih combination. Are there are rules on occasion vs. length of time since last you saw each other?

Lord I need a Xanax.

No comments: